Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Thinking like a Business, Not a Hobby – Part 2

Generating Shop Views

In order to achieve my goal of turning my hobby into a business I have to generate more traffic to my shop. I have read so many forum posts about how to increase views. One of the suggestions that is always mentioned is Twitter. Now, I definitely don’t consider myself a technology literate person, but I never understood the point of Twitter. Why do I care that my friend just saw someone trip over on the sidewalk? I didn’t see it, it wasn’t funny to me!

But none the less, there is a lot of talk about Twitter on Etsy. After hearing how it drives so much traffic to shops, I bit the bullet and set up an account. I’m not sure whether I’m using it correctly or not, but I’ve noticed an increase in views immediately after I tweet about an item. I often wonder if these are legitimate views. I can go from having 0 views to 15 views in a second. I’ve never gotten a heart from the views and I’m not even sure they register on Google Analytics. Needless to say, I’m still confused.

I will try using it for a few months and see what happens. After my trial I can evaluate if this should be part of my Thinking like a Business, Not a Hobby strategy. Has anyone had serious success with Twitter? I’m interested to hear your Twitter stories.

If you would like to follow me, my address is http://www.twitter.com/fashionablychc. I always follow people back. Have a wonderful day!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with it - it will be interesting to come back in a month or so to find out how you have fared!

    ReplyDelete